A unique model of animal welfare for our region.
Victoria Humane Society is a registered charity founded in 2013. To date, we have rescued and re-homed over 1500 animals in the Greater Victoria region and in remote parts of BC.
VHS fills a gap in animal welfare services in our region and on Vancouver Island, with a focus on animal rescue, rehabilitation and adoption. We also accept many difficult cases and help these animals get necessary treatments they may need, including emergency medical care, surgeries and other life saving treatments. We believe all animals deserve a second chance at a permanent loving home.
While VHS has the goal of establishing its own shelter in the near future, we currently do not operate a shelter, and instead, rely exclusively on a network of foster homes to care for our animals as they await applications into their permanent homes.
We envision a more compassionate future where animals are valued, protected and treated with respect.
Our mission is to provide leadership to improve the lives of animals by alleviating their suffering or neglect. We do this by rescuing, sheltering, healing, adopting and advocating for animals in need, while inspiring community action and compassion on their behalf.
- To provide safe refuge, compassionate care and forever homes for B.C. animals in need.
- To think differently about animal welfare, led by this guiding principle: “Are we doing the right thing for these animals?”
- To foster community understanding of the issues of responsible pet ownership, animal neglect and abuse, and overpopulation, through education and advocacy.
- To respect and honour the heart and soul of our organization — our volunteers.
- To operate our programs with integrity and transparency, in a manner that secures a financially viable future through a strong commitment to fundraising, volunteer and membership development.