Adopting an animal is an important, long-term commitment. When you decide to adopt through Victoria Humane Society, our commitment is to find the animal that best matches your personality, lifestyle and experience. Every animal and home are unique. Therefore, we strive to match families with the right animal. We want your adoption to succeed, not just for a day, but for a lifetime!
For approved applicants, the Victoria Humane Society offers a personalized adoption experience that includes:
- A pre-adoption counseling session
- Post-adoption counseling within the first month of adoption
Consider the ways in which you will meet the lifelong needs of a pet:
- Have you planned for expenses?
- Is there time in your schedule for walks, training, attention and play?
- Are your children of an appropriate age?
- Will possible life changes such as moving, changing your work schedule, starting a family, going back to school etc. affect your ability to provide good care?
Think about the characteristics you would like in a pet. Energetic? Mellow? Playful?
When you find an animal you think is right for you; fill out an adoption application for that animal. You will need:
- Your landlord’s phone number (if you rent your accommodations)
- Two non-personal references (employer or people you have pet sat for are good examples)
- Your veterinarian’s name and phone number (for current and past pets)
Once we receive your application, we will send you an email providing further information on our adoption process. After your application has been approved and you have spoken with one of our Adoption Counselors, we set up an appointment for you to meet and interact with the animal you are interested in. The Adoption Counselor will work with you to ensure you make the best match. We want the adoption to be successful for everyone involved!
Our adoption fees are all-inclusive. They cover the veterinary exam for the animal when they first come to Victoria Humane Society, the first set of vaccinations, spaying or neutering and any other necessary medical treatment.