Adopting an animal is an important, long-term commitment. When you decide to adopt through Victoria Humane Society, our commitment is to find the animal that best matches your personality, lifestyle and experience. Every animal and home is unique. Therefore, we strive to match families with the right animal. We want your adoption to succeed, not just for a day, but for a lifetime!
For approved applicants, the Victoria Humane Society offers a personalized adoption experience that includes:
- A pre-adoption counseling session
- Post-adoption counseling within the first month of adoption
As Victoria Humane Society currently does not operate a shelter, adoption applications can only be submitted online. Please note, the adoption process can take several days. We thank you for your patience!
Consider the ways in which you will meet the lifelong needs of a pet:
- Have you planned for expenses?
- Is there time in your schedule for walks, training, attention and play?
- Are your children of an appropriate age?
- Will possible life changes such as moving, changing your work schedule, starting a family, going back to school etc. affect your ability to provide good care?
- Are you prepared to spend time building a solid foundation of training with positive reinforcement methods?
- Are you prepared to work through the adjustment period and possible behavioural challenges? Many animals wind up in care because their former people were not willing or able to meet these needs, therefore it is important to VHS that adopters are firmly committed for the life of their new pet.
We know how tempting those photos can be but when you see a pet you’re interested in, think about the characteristics described and whether it is the right personality for your lifestyle.
When you find a cat or dog that you think is right for you; fill out an online adoption application for that animal. You will need:
- Your landlord’s phone number (if you rent your accommodations)
- Two non-personal references (employer or people you have pet sat for are good examples)
- Your veterinarian’s name and phone number (for current and past pets)
Once we receive your application, we will send you an email providing further information on our adoption process. Please read it thoroughly.
Do know that some animals on our site receive hundreds of applications and some receive very few. We do our best to work through the applications and find that animal the right home. If you do not hear from us, it is often because the animal already has a potential adopter. We will keep your application and ask that you just send us a note when you see another animal you are interested in. Be sure to tell us the name on the application!
When you have been matched with an animal, and after your application has been approved, one of our Adoption Counselors will set up an appointment for you to meet and interact with your potential new pet. The Adoption Counselor will work with you to ensure the new pet is the best match for you. We want the adoption to be successful for everyone involved!
Our adoption fees are all-inclusive. They cover the veterinary exam for the animal when they first come to Victoria Humane Society, the first set of vaccinations, spaying or neutering and any other necessary medical treatment prior to adoption.
Our adoption fees are as follows:
- Puppies …$600 + PST (up to one year of age)
- Adult Dog…$400 + PST
- Kittens…$400 + PST (up to one year of age)
- Adult Cat…$300 + PST
- Small animal prices vary
*PST is British Columbia’s Provincial Sales Tax. Victoria Humane Society is required to charge it on all adoption fees. The PST is currently at a rate of 7%.
See All Available Animals